MIRA works to ensure immigrant access to healthcare and other human services. This section provides resources for immigrant populations on access to affordable health care, getting help for sexual assault and domestic violence and finding assistance with other human services such as housing and food assistance.

These three resources provide information about important assistance available to low-income Massachusetts residents:

Low-income benefits – Mass Legal Help
Getting food assistance – Project Bread
Housing eligibility – Mass. Legal Help

Health care access

Health Care for All’s HelpLine is a free resource available to everyone to answer your questions about health coverage in Massachusetts. You can reach the HelpLine by calling 1-800-272-4232. HelpLine counselors are available 9am–5pm, Monday–Friday. You can also submit questions online.

You may be able to access health care through Commonwealth Care or Commonwealth Care Bridge.  For all of your Commonwealth Care health plan options, call the Health Connector at (877) 623-6765 (TTY: (877) 623-7773), Monday–Friday, 8am–5pm, or visit www.mahealthconnector.org.

Domestic violence and sexual assault

If you are enduring domestic violence, you can get help ANYTIME (24 hours a day, 7 days a week) by calling the free Domestic Violence Safelink, operated by Casa Myrna, which has advocates who speak English and Spanish and have access to translation for over 130 languages. The number is (877) 785-2020; if you are hearing-impaired, call TTY: (877) 521-2601.

Jane Doe Inc. has information and resources for immigrant survivors of domestic violence, including explainers on two key immigration options for abuse survivors: petitions under the Violence Against Women Act, and U-visa applications.

If you have experienced sexual abuse, rape crisis centers across Massachusetts offer support and accompaniment 24/7. Here is a list.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) also has information on VAWA petitions for battered spouses, children and parents, on U-visas for victims of crime who cooperate with law enforcement in the investigation and/or prosecution of the crime, and on T-visas for victims of human trafficking.