MIRA is looking for a dynamic, seasoned Deputy Director to support the CEO, help shape our strategic vision, manage staff and internal operations and build an effective and collaborative work environment to maximize our impact. This position, which reports to the CEO, will play a leadership role in developing future growth and direction for the organization. The responsibilities of the role are varied, challenging and require the ability to operate effectively within a fast-paced environment. The ideal candidate will be highly efficient, organized, have excellent interpersonal skills, experience in developing and implementing systems, capacity to pay attention to detail while focusing on the “big picture” and experience and insight into advocacy and legislative strategy.
- Manage day-to-day operations and decision-making, allowing CEO to focus on strategic leadership and external relations;
- Work closely with the CEO, Board and senior staff to develop, articulate and implement overall organizational strategy;
- Manage implementation of organizational priorities and ensure accountability for identified deliverables;
- Staff and serve on critical Board committees and organize presentations for Board meetings;
- Work closely with the CEO and senior staff on budget development and monitoring and fundraising/development goals;
- Oversee planning and implementation of staff-wide initiatives, ensuring timely implementation and accountability to team members and to MIRA’s mission and strategy;
- Implement systems that facilitate timely decision-making, planning and program management;
- Ensure consistent and timely communication, planning and coordination across departments, with regular internal communications;
- Help to build a relational, transparent culture of excellence, including professional development opportunities for all staff. Work with individual staff, particularly senior directors, to understand key organizational needs, ensure access to time, resources and internal support needed to succeed;
- Manage human resources, including hiring, staff evaluations and professional development, and all relevant policies and systems. Assess staffing needs and help set /recommend hiring priorities;
- Work with the Director of Development in ensuring timely and quality staff contributions to grant proposals and reports;
- Ensure that MIRA’s offices, equipment, materials and other key resources are well maintained and meet the needs of our staff and operations.
Education, Essential Skills:
- 5-10 years of management experience in a nonprofit, with at least 5 years in a leadership position;
- Excellent organizational skills, including a proven ability to manage successful projects and lead teams;
- Track record of effective planning and building strong systems in a nonprofit context;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work effectively with a diverse and passionate team, resolve conflicts, and foster mutual understanding;
- Knowledge of best practices in nonprofit management, including strategic planning, human resources and accountability systems;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Proven ability to succeed in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment with many competing demands;
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission and core values
- Masters’ degree, J.D. or other advanced degree strongly preferred.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com, subject line: “Deputy Director – Your Name” by February 12, 2021
MIRA is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates diversity and seeks a broad representation of the communities served within its staff.